Friday, October 28 2016 21:31 EEST
Military
Battle for Aleppo: rebels launched a massive offensive to unblock the city - video
 Aleppo, war, rebels, offensive, video, Syrian forces, Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, siege, bombings, government

Syrian rebels in Aleppo unleash mortar and 'Grad' attacks in massive offensive against government forces. A series of deadly car bombings on government-held positions aimed at breaking the siege of rebel-controlled eastern neighborhoods also took place.

Opposition social media showed videos of rebel tanks, armored personnel carriers, grad rockets and artillery firing from the southwest of the city, in an apparent attempt to break through Syrian government offenses from the outside of Aleppo. They call it 'a mother of all battles', reports Uatoday.tv.

At least 15 people were killed and more than 100 others were wounded when hundreds of mortar rounds showered down on several residential neighborhoods in regime-held areas of western Aleppo, the UK-based monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said in a statement.

Clashes are continuing in several areas on the outskirts of western Aleppo between Syrian forces and various rebel groups, according to SOHR.

            Control zones around Aleppo before the rebel offensive (by IHS)

Earlier on Friday, Jabhet Fateh al-Sham fighters carried out three car bombings targeting regime forces in the southwestern outskirts of Aleppo, according to the SOHR, which said there were many killed and wounded from the bombings but could not provide an exact number yet. 

latest news
ALL NEWS >