Tuesday, September 13 2016 18:00 EEST
Ceasefire violations: Three Ukrainian soldiers killed and 15 wounded in ATO zone in the last day
Ukraine, politics, war, ATO, Donbas, ceasefire, violations, soldiers, army, military, killed, wounded, attacks, shellings, Luhansk, heavy weapons, villages, victims

Three Ukrainian soldiers were killed and 15 were wounded in the Anti-Terrorist Operation (ATO) zone in eastern Ukraine in the last day, spokesman for the Ukrainian Defense Ministry for ATO issues Oleksandr Motuzianyk said.

'Three our soldiers were killed and 15 were wounded in fighting in the last day. Another soldier is missing,' he said at a briefing in Kyiv on Tuesday, Interfax-Ukraine reports.

The heaviest ATO casualties were in the Luhansk sector amid a skirmish with an enemy special forces group on Monday. It happened on the left bank of the Siversky Donets River.

'The special forces group crossed the river and attacked our troops. The fight lasted for 15 minutes,' he said.

According to Motuzianyk, two Ukrainian servicemen were killed in the fight alone, and another one died amid an artillery attack near the village of Chermalyk in Luhansk region.

In his words, massive attacks by illegal armed groups were also recorded in Luhansk region's Popasna district: the enemy used light weapons and equipment. For the first time in recent weeks, militants used heavy 82 mm weapons. Nine attacks were recorded in this sector.

Motuzianyk also added that fighting in the Donetsk sector had also intensified: militants also used heavy weapons there. The village of Luhanske and the industrial area in the town of Avdiyivka came under mortar fire. The village of Zaitseve saw firing, which lasted for 2.5 hours. Sixteen attacks were recorded in this sector.

The town of Krasnohorivka in the Mariupol sector came under mortar fire. The enemy used banned 122mm guns to shell the village of Chermalyk - they fired 45 artillery shells on Ukrainian positions. The village of Shyrokyne, which is close to the Ukrainian-controlled strategic port city of Mariupol came under mortar fire. The town of Maryinka also saw a number of provocations. Nine attacks were recorded in the Mariupol sector, three of them were with the use of heavy weapons.

As reported earlier by 1492news.com, OSCE: Ceasefire in the Donbas region lasted over the last week gives hope for maintaining total ceasefire.

latest news