Police officers stand guard near the Tsukui Yamayuri En care centre where a knife-wielding man went on a rampage at a care home for the mentally disabled, killing 19, on July 26, 2016
A knife-wielding former employee killed 19 people and injured 25 at a care centre for the mentally disabled in Japan on Tuesday, in the country's worst mass killing in decades, 112.international.
The 26-year-old man later turned himself in at a police station, admitting to officers: 'I did it.' He reportedly also said: 'The disabled should all disappear.'
Authorities identified the attacker as Satoshi Uematsu and said he had worked at the facility in Sagamihara, a city of more than 700,000 people west of Tokyo, until February.
Broadcaster NTV said the man told police he had been fired and held a grudge against the care centre.
The attack began in the early hours of the morning when Uematsu allegedly broke a first-floor window to get into the building. NTV reported that he tied up caregivers before starting to stab the residents.