Dutch prosecutors say an international joint probe into the downing of Flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine is 'at a very advanced stage' and that the investigators will present their first results 'after this summer,' RFE/RL reports.
According to UNIAN, that part of the investigation, which was initially due to be concluded before the second half of the year, concerns 'the weapon which was used to shoot down' the Malaysia Airlines plane from the sky over Donbas in the summer of 2014 and 'the exact launch site of the weapon,' according to the report by RFE/RL.
The Dutch Safety Board concluded last year that the plane, flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was shot down by a Russian-made surface-to-air Buk missile. In a June 3 statement, the Dutch Public Prosecutor's Office said the joint investigation team is 'still waiting for information from the Russian Federation about Buk installations.'
It said the investigators won't publish their results in a report, but will eventually include them 'in a criminal file, which is intended for the hearing of the case in a court or a tribunal.'
The investigators are from the Netherlands, Australia, Malaysia, Belgium, and Ukraine. Their governments have pledged to bring those responsible for the crash to justice.
UNIAN memo. Boeing 777 of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur was shot down July 17, 2014, in Donetsk region with a surface-to-air Buk missile system No. 332 of the Russian 53rd air defense missile brigade based in Kursk region.
All 298 people on board were killed in a crash. The passengers were citizens of 10 countries. The majority of victims (196 people) were the citizens of the Netherlands. Among the dead were also 27 Australians.