Monday, April 11 2016 11:55 EEST
A ceasefire has been announced in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Karabakh, occupied, army, war, property, minister, deputy, tanks, wheeled, units, force, battle, drone, Israel, Ukraine, Syria, conflict, Russia, Putin, ceasefire, death, dozens

A ceasefire has been announced in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh after four days of intense fighting that has left dozens dead and threatened to degenerate into full-blown war between Armenia and Azerbaijan. The parties have established “silent period” in the area of Nagorno-Karabakh’s conflict to search for the victims’ bodies, Azerbaijani Defense Ministry reports.

As unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic’s leadership told Interfax, the agreement on launching the search "under the conditions of strict adherence to the ceasefire", had been reached with the assistance of the Red Cross.

The ICRC in its turn reported that the organization has been already helping the conflicting parties in the search for the bodies of the dead and missing people, "in organizing the transmission to families and exchange".

The conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh broke out with renewed strength on April 2. The parties claimed hundreds of dead enemies.

On April 4, Azerbaijan put forward a number of conditions for the cessation of hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh.

"To do this in accordance with the resolutions of the UN Security Council, Armenia should leave all the occupied territories, ensure the full territorial integrity and sovereignty of the Republic of Azerbaijan that is recognized at the international level," the Foreign Ministry said.

On April 5, Armenia and Azerbaijan reached an agreement on a cease-fire in Nagorno-Karabakh.

Despite the settlement, the parties accused each other of violating the ceasefire and reported about losses.

latest news